Sunday, September 27, 2009

My Rain Day from School

When I came home from Africa this year Maryann informed me that we had a tree growing in our backyard and I needed to take care of it. She has periodically reminded me of the tree and told me that it is just getting bigger!
I have always just wanted a yard with grass that I can lay in and look at the stars. I have cleaned the yard and others have cleaned the yard, but I have never planted grass. I have a friend who always said she was going to plant grass for me when I was away in Africa. Alas, that has never happened.
I had the day off of school because of rain and it ended up being quite a nice day at my house. A thought came to me in the morning "hey, with all the rain it might be pretty easy to pull all that up." The morning was pretty cool weather wise, so I decided "why not?"

Here is the famous "tree".

The yard before I started working.

Here is the evil enemy that has even tried to take over the bike. Do you know what it is? :)

Here I am all decked out and ready to work complete with long sleeves, long pants, socks and shoes, and my bathroom gloves. At this point I am unsure if I will have a reaction to the enemy.

I pulled the "tree" up first. Like the roots?

Then I started in on the bigger growth.

Not sure what was growing. Don't tell Maryann, but I think they are actually "baby trees" from the evil tree in our yard because I recognize the evil berries.

After six hours of work with a break for lunch and a nap, I have finally finished!

With the afternoon sun and all that work I was hot, tired, and ready for a shower

Did these pants really use to fit me? I mean I know I have never had much of anything in the rear area, but seriously. I had to keep pulling my pants up because I did not think to put on a belt. I was hoping I did not end up with a rash from the enemy where I had to keep pulling up my pants :)

Since it was only two days before Maryann's birthday, I decided this would be the perfect gift :)

I even saved her tree! Happy 36th!

Maybe for my birthday I will get grass or at least a new pair of bathroom gloves :) Who wants to help?
BTW, I guess either I did a great job of staying covered and washing off or I am not allergic to the enemy. I think it was the latter, because at one point I pulled a huge vine out of the real tree and it landed on my face on the way down.

4 comments:

Sue Ellen said...

Great job clearing the back 40!!! Now if you get your crop planted all you will have to do is keep the hay cut:)

Cherie (and sometimes Senor) said...

Wow! Talk about inspirational before and afters! Way to go on the serious hardwork! Now, time for grass and fertilizer!

darinangel said...

Maryann, in a gown!

What is Mom talking about?

Ben & Diane said...

Maryann, have you NO shame? Oh wait, I can answer my own question.....you've been out to the mailbox in your gown. MORE THAN ONCE! And my car too. So no, you have no shame. You knew Ruth would put that picture on her blog.

Ruth, nice work. Better plant the grass before the weeds grow back. They're fast!